Thursday, April 23, 2009

Birth Machine - H.R. Giger

phallic metal arrows gun bullets grey children

A week ago my roomate Dan suggested I look at some artwork by H.R. Giger that I could evaluate for DMF. Now, I have seen all four of Ridley Scott's fantastic sci-fi thrillers, but I was not aware that H.R. Giger designed the characters. I really like his surreal sci-fi/cyberpunk style, and I'm surprised I've never seen his artwork before. This piece, titled "Birth Machine", specifically called my attention. What looks like mutated children wait patiently in a cold, metal chamber, ready to be fired off (takes this to a whole new level), armed with what I can only assume are Philips screwdrivers. Or flatheads. (Update: after proper examination I realized those things are rifles. How's that for double meaning...or is it triple?)

I'm thinking that in a world based on ideas in Giger's head, this is how children are born. Perhaps these little soldiers are the saviors of humanity.

As Lennon once sang:

"When I hold you in my arms
and I feel my finger on your trigger
I know no one can do me no harm
because happiness is a warm gun"

0 comments:

Post a Comment